Monday, April 23, 2007

How do I get USCE?


What I did was to contact every psychiatry residency program by email. I should have also followed up by phone as well. I personalized every email and also asked for any mid-year openings for residencies. I also mentioned I am interested in applying for the program as well. Thus I hit many birds with one stone. This is a long shot but the program may remember you when you apply even if they don't have a spot or usce. Another method is by searching the many usmle forums as well (sdn forums, usmleforum, prep4usmle, etc.) Also another idea is to check out the local Veterans Affairs hospitals. However the VA route may mean a lot of paperwork and you may need a sponsor. Also you could shadow a local doc. Ideally you want to do an externship at a residency program. This applies as well to research. It is possible to even eventually get paid for research. However research will be more long term than externship as you may want to get published for it to be worth the effort.

I will make things easy for you. I have compiled a list. Yet you should still find other ones as well.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello psyguru

your blog is very helping informative .i really appreciate your effort.I have question i want your e mail id i want to know about cedar saini externship process because i am interested in that i am in CA I am collecting my papers for tht suddenly i find you that u did from there So i think you guide me better way .hope you reply my post

Anonymous said...


thank you so much for this blog post! its such an amazing resource.

psyguru, is there anyway to speak to you directly! please let me know if there is!

I hope you are doing well and kicking ass in the field of psychiatry.